Crocheting is becoming a popular hobby nowadays. This is true for most of the not-so-young yet not-so-old ladies who spend most of their time at home. Crocheting is an artful craft, needlework in particular, that takes time to be learned and mastered. Not everyone can easily learn this hobby. Those who are good at crocheting can even earn good money from it.
There are many things that you can crochet. One of those is the poncho. Have you seen Jessica Simpson wear that lovely and fashionable over-shirt piece of cloth in the Newlyweds series? That is a poncho. It has now become a fashion statement among women. Most of the ponchos are crocheted which makes them comfortable and stylish to wear over your plain shirt or spaghetti straps.
Do you want to make yourself one that you can show off to your friends? Here are some resources found in the web where you can find poncho patterns and instructions for free.
– “Coming Home” Poncho worn by Martha Stewart. This particular poncho is similar to the one worn by Martha going home as well as on her ‘Poncho’ show. It is a wide-necked poncho with v-shaped bottom. It is big enough to fit an adult medium size. The Lion Brand website offers this pattern for free with instructions and frequently asked questions.
– Angelhair Ponchette. This is one variation of poncho which is more like the mini kind. It falls just above the waistline and has wide neckline. The yarn to be used for this particular design is the “angel hair” type. This pattern can be found in the Hip Vintage Crochet web site.
– Diamonds and Lace Poncho. This free poncho pattern was designed by a lady named Dot. As the name implies, it has diamond and lace design all throughout the crocheted piece. It fits most sizes, even up to 2X, and is about 18 inches from the neck to the bottom edge. This pattern can be found in Crochet ‘bythehook’ blog site of the author.
– Asymmetric Poof Crochet Poncho. Best for the winter season, this closely-knit poncho uses the Poof kind of yarn. It is just like a crocheted rectangle with one side short and the other, long, which are joined together to make a single-pointed poncho. It is also comfortable to wear because of the softness of the yarn being used. This pattern can be found from Crystal palace Yarns web site.
– Easy Peasy Poncho. Having wide spaces, this poncho is best to wear during summer. This one has a v-shaped bottom with hanging strands. Should you want this kind of poncho, you can visit Myra Wood’s web site.
– Crocheted Baby Poncho. Want your baby or toddler to be as fashionable as you are? You can make her a poncho with matching hood with this pattern. This, however, needs intermediate skill level in crocheting because of the complexity of some stitches. This pattern can be obtained from Coats and Clark web site.
– Groovy Granny Poncho. Not really strictly for the old folks only, this poncho is more like those designs that were famous during the 60s. The layered color pattern makes it groovy and stylish. It has the usual v-shaped bottom, with a slightly v-shaped neckline, ribbon and flower trimmings that give this fashion wear a twist. This one is available from the Lion Brand web site.
– Scarf Ponchette. Yet another ponchette, this pattern is good for beginners as it is simple to do. It looks elegant and stylish because of the type of yarns used – fun fur and color waves. This pattern can be printed out from the Lion Brand website.
– Left-over Poncho. Do you have lots of left over yarns from other crochet projects? Do not throw them. You can still have a use for them with this pattern. This one is a poncho of different color combinations. You can find this pattern from Crochet Pattern Central.
– “Coming Home” Pooch Poncho. If adults and kids have ponchos and ponchettes, dogs can have one too! This particular pattern was designed after the “Coming Home” poncho worn by Martha Stewart. This is just the tiny version of it and specifically made for little dogs. So if you want your dogs to be as stylish as their owner, better get this pattern now from, again, the Lion Brand web site.
There are indeed hundreds of free poncho patterns out there to choose from. These are just a few of them. You can definitely find one that suits your taste and matches your skill level. You will surely enjoy selecting among all the pretty patterns available.